The Striplon, also known as Backstrap, is one of the choice cuts of Venison. Removed from the 3rd rib of the point end to the last Lumbar Vertebrae, a 55 kg carcass striploin will yield approx 1.6 kg of deep red full flavoured choice tender venison.
open flame grilled striploin
no marinades needed.
Venison prep time <5 minutes, grill time of around not much
- Unpack the Hahndorf Venison Tenderloins and allow to breathe for 5 minutes or so and the natural deep red colour will return.
- If you've got the denuded striploin, go to step 3, if not, carefully remove all remaining silverskin
- As the striploin approaches room temperature, coat the meat with an olive oil + mustard + brown sugar + ground black pepper + herb paste. Suggestion: thyme and oregano work well - rosemary will conflict with the delicate venison.
- Carefully place the striploin onto an open flame hot coal grill
- Remove from the intense heat to a cooler spot if cooking too fast, do not take the the core temp of the striploin past 60oC.
- Remove from the heat, cover and set aside to rest for 5 minutes or so
- Plate the accompaniments, slice the striploin into thick medallions and serve.
- here's a handy link from canivore extrordinaire Aussie expat Jess Pryles: Open flame grilled Venison Texas style